Saturday, May 23, 2009

Long Run 90 Minutes

It was long and slow today. No problem with that. I saw something pretty interesting today. I was running along and thought I heard someone crying. There was this guy and girl running in front of me. The guy was like a drill sergeant telling her don't quit finish strong while the girl was panting, breathing heavily, crying, saying "I can't go any further". This was happening for a while and judging by the pace, the girl was running way too fast for way too long. That's probably the last time that girl will ever run again. Training shouldn't be like torture. Later on in the run I saw another girl who I saw earlier on in my run. This time she looked extremely dehydrated with flushed red cheeks and was doing a death march dragging her feet along at slower than walking pace. Her facial expression looked like she was going to die. This time, self torture.

Self torture, this is the way to train for a lot of people. It used to be my method, when I didn't know. Now I listen to Lydiard when he said,

"Train, don't strain."

Mile 17:49
Mile 27:30
Mile 37:34
Mile 47:23
Mile 57:17
Mile 67:03
Mile 77:03
Mile 87:09
Mile 97:23
Mile 107:05
Mile 117:04
Mile 127:03
Last .357:10
Total Average Pace7:17

2 comments:

junebug said...

i am going to keep my mouth shut on this one, but suffice it to say what you saw/heard pisses me off TO NO END...

that is all.

Bill Blancett said...

Yeah, I was thinking what that guy was doing was sadistic, but he just doesn't know.