Tuesday, September 1, 2009

4 Mile Tempo - 9 Miles Total

3 mile warm up at 7:27 pace

Jump Rope (120)

4 Mile Tempo - Target 5:30 Pace

Mile 1 5:40
Mile 2 5:30
Mile 3 5:29
Mile 4 5:29
Total Average Pace 5:33

2 mile cool down at 9:39 pace

The tempo run was a success. I intentionally took it easy for the first mile because I didn't want to put immediate duress on my groin. That ended up being the correct strategy because I could feel the pressure start to build up in that area at the end.

For the 1st part of the 1st mile I hit 5:2x pretty easily. But then I decided to slow it down because I knew I would end up paying for it later (groin) if I worked too hard now. So I slowed it down to around 5:50 pace and then eased my way down to 5:40 pace at the end of mile 1.

During mile 2 I sped it up and aimed toward hitting proper pace. I was able to do this pretty easily.

By mile 3 I noticed that my breathing and effort level was still pretty easy.

By mile 4 I was actually down to 5:25 pace and then with a third of a mile to go, I could feel the stress start to build up around the groin area so I slowed it down till I felt comfortable again. I ended up finishing mile 4 at 5:29 pace.

Cardiovascular-wise the run was effortless. Physically I was able to handle the run easily, save the slight stress on the groin area at times. The main thing I gather from the run is I just need to get the area 100% healthy and I will be running fast rather quickly.

No comments: