Sunday, September 13, 2009

9 Miles Easy

9 Miles @ 7:10 pace

Jump Rope (210)

15 Second Strides (60 seconds rest)

  1. 4:51
  2. 4:34
  3. 4:34
  4. 4:33
  5. 4:29
  6. 4:32

Total Average Pace: 4:35

There was nothing special about today’s run. Everything felt pretty easy. My last 5 miles were at sub 7 minute pace. My strides were about average. Oh wait, I guess there was one thing. When I was running a came upon a father and son running the trail. I had seen this father and son do intervals on the track next to the trail many weekends before. I always stood in admiration as the father showed a lot of dedication to his sons. I always thought this is the template that I want to follow with my children. I always looked at this father and smiled when I saw him. So today as I passed by them, I told the father, “Good Job!” and smiled. Big mistake. I don’t know if he misunderstood me or not, but next thing you know I hear him tell his son not to let me go. At first I scooted to the right side of the trail to let them pass. But no they weren’t going to pass. I was now the pace maker, the lead runner. Oh boy… Mind you, I’m running about 6:45 pace, and this kid is probably between 10-12 years old. So now I get to hear this kid dying behind me (breathing hard and loud, maybe gasping?), and dad pushing him to keep going. I’m starting to feel a bit weird. Somewhere between guilty (because maybe I’m running too fast for the poor kid) and just uncomfortable. I mean this kid is literally giving his all to stay with me, should I slow down for his sake? Is his dad going to let him stop? Finally they stop shortly before I finish. Lesson learned. Keep head down and don’t make eye contact. DON’T UTTER A WORD!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

How do you get the pace info for your strides?

Steeeve said...

Hey Bill, too small a sample size! One over-zealous father. Keep offering encouragement.

Bill Blancett said...

Anonymous,

I use my Garmin 405. Press Menu bezel -> Training Menu -> Workouts -> Interval -> Type=Time, Duration=15secs,Rest Type=Time, Rest Duration=60secs, Reps=6. Hope that makes sense.

Bill

Bill Blancett said...

Steve,

Yes, I'll keep offering the encouragement.

Bill