Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Speed Work

Today was the day that I was to do speed work. I was going to do the speed work yesterday but my legs didn't feel so great. So I started off with a warm up for a little over 4 miles. My entire plan was to run a total of 9 miles and somehow fit 6 reps of 2 minutes fast, 2 minutes rest. The 2 minutes fast were to be below 5k pace or by feel. So after the warm up here is how the workout went down.

  1. 5:12
  2. 5:00
  3. 5:09
  4. 5:06
  5. 5:04
  6. 5:09

I concluded my running with a 2 mile cool down with Andrew. All in all I put in about 8.22 miles. A little short of my 9 mile goal, but I was running late for work.

A couple of things to mention here. It has been so long since I have done speed work that I forgot to do the pre-workout routine of butt kicks, strides, high knees, etc. It probably didn't affect my workout too much, but it would have certainly helped. The workout was pretty mediocre. I didn't feel the spring or power in my in my strides like I did this past Saturday or in my runs last week. I had to put in more effort than expected to complete the workout.

Based off of this workout, I'll try to run easy the rest of the week and throw in the usual long run but at a very easy pace.

2 comments:

geoff said...

Hey Bill, What time do you usually try to do your runs at the park in the mornings? Maybe next week I'll try to join you for a day or two if you don't mind.

Bill Blancett said...

Geoff,

I try to get there around 6am. You are more than welcome to join if you can wake up that early :)

Bill