Saturday, February 14, 2009

Kenyan Way long run

My long run was scheduled to be 15 miles. The only question was whether my strain that I had from yesterday would make another appearance today. The answer to that question was an emphatic NO. I had a great run today in that respect but otherwise my long run was pretty mediocre. That's fine by me, I just need to get those 15 miles in.

Today Sam Rodriguez joined us. Sam is a pretty good runner. I always try to keep track of how he does because he is capable of some very good performances. When it comes to training I have to bring my "A" game because he always brings his. Currently he is training for Boston and so he had to do 19 miles today. Andrew, my long run training partner, was there as well. Andrew is also training for a spring marathon. He had done 4 miles earlier and did the remaining 15 with me. Now I wish I could post the splits, but currently it seems my Garmin has died on me. This could be a problem. Well anyway, I had checked my Garmin earlier and it said Andrew and I ran 15 miles at 7:13 pace. Towards the end of the run Sam ran ahead while Andrew and I stopped at a water stop. Sam seemed to be gathering some steam at the end and I learned that he finished his 19 miles at 6:55 pace. That's outstanding. There is no way I was going to attempt to keep pace with that, because of the strain. I'm just glad my legs felt pretty darn healthy during the run. Now I just need to run a relaxed and easy 7 miles tomorrow.

No comments: