Friday, February 27, 2009

Easy Run 7 miles and using less effort to improve

Today was the day after speed work so normally I would call today's run a recovery run. But there was nothing that was "recovery" about this run. It was a little warmer out this morning and I have discovered a pattern that when it is warmer I run faster. I think it has something to do with me warming up pretty easily in warmer weather. Well today was one of those faster days so instead of a recovery run lets just call today's run an easy run.

The first mile started at 7:35 pace. Well that brings me back to my rule that whenever I run in the 7:30s or faster for my first mile while warming up, then it will be a fast day. And so it was, here are my splits:

Mile # Split
1 7:35
2 6:34
3 6:26
4 6:33
5 6:33
6 6:39
7 6:36
Average 6:43

Andrew jumped in at the end of my run. It looks like he'll be doing the Rodeo Run tomorrow. I wish him luck and I'll be rooting for him to run well.

I also had a chance to speak with Tuan for an extended period of time after our runs. It seems we agree on a lot of things about running. We seem to both agree that if your body feels tight when starting a run, then you shouldn't force yourself to jump to a certain pace. I think he thought it was good to see that I also run 8 minute pace to start a run if my body tells me too. I think sometimes this sometimes has to do with confidence and assurance that you are doing the right thing in your training. You should be confident in your ability to get faster and be assured that you are doing the right things to get faster. Sometimes we feel we have to do a little, maybe a lot extra to improve really quickly. Many times the quickest path to improvement is to avoid the injury pitfalls that keep you from running for extended periods like weeks at a time. The guy that stays injury free and runs more often will be faster in the long run than a similarly talented runner who puts more effort into running yet has frequent injuries.

And another thing, don't use addiction to fuel your running. Keep a level head. Remember that.

No comments: