Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hour and a half easy

Now that I'm done with all of the hype and hoopla surrounding the Houston Rockets 5k, its back to business as usual. The daily grind, the solitary consistent running. The type of running that runners don't get any accolades for. That's business as usual for me and that's the type of running I did yesterday. Family life took a priority yesterday so I had to postpone my long run for the afternoon. I was a little concerned that I would burn up and have a unnecessarily painful run. That wasn't the case. Since I got out there really late I decided to adjust my goal to running an hour and a half instead of an hour and 45 minutes(I want to be ready for hills on Monday). I got out there at about 2:30pm and made a concentrated effort to keep the effort level easy. With that being said I was able to run pretty well. I believe I run better on my easy runs in 60 to 70 something degree weather since my body really feels lubricated. Sometimes when you are churning those miles in your training runs in very cold weather it feels like you are the tin man in the wizard of oz. I would show my splits but my Garmin is upstairs and I really need to conserve my energy :) The things I do remember is that the splits averaged out to about a 7:05 average and I ran about 12.70 miles.

I forgot to mention that there was a really important race on Saturday. It was the Buffalo Wallow 6k. It is the first race in the HARRA (Houston Area Road Runners Association) series(Geoff gives a really good background history of the race). During the spring season there will be a total of 6 races and 3 of your top performances will be used in your score. The top runners get cash prizes at the end of the season. Two of my marathon training buddies Andrew and Geoff ran that race and it would be interesting to see how they did. At the end of the Buffalo Wallow 6k they give out the awards for the fall season.

On another note my coach ,Sean Wade, is racing the USA masters championships in Florida today. I believe he has the opportunity to win 2 cash prizes. One for best overall time and another one for best age graded time. I can't wait to see the results on that as well.

As for me. Nothing interesting, no races. I'm just going to put in a 3 mile run to flush out any junk in my legs. Then it will be off to do family things.

No comments: