Friday, June 5, 2009

3 Miles Easy, A New Partner, Race Time

I did 3 miles easy today and guess what? I did it with my new 405 Garmin. You know...I think I really could fall in love with this thing. Give me a few days. I still need to get used to the bezel (touch pad type interface). When you are in a relationship for 2.5 years (Garmin 305), you get used to their habits(interface). I don't know, the 305 had a lot of features that I used so I will reserve my final judgement. Currently I have my 305 sulking in the corner. If the 305 had kept doing its job we probably never would have parted.

As far as race preparation is concerned I'm feeling pretty good physically. I did 3 miles at 6:43 pace. I didn't record my mile lap splits because I didn't figure out how to do that until after my run. But I looked down a couple of times and I saw that I ran 6:56 pace after mile 1 and somewhere in mile 2 or 3 I was running 6:20 pace. Physically, this is probably the best I have felt before a race since right before the Rockets 5k. All physical indicators are pointing to a good race, but you never know until race day. One thing that I'm sort of nervous about is me not figuring out the Garmin 405 on race day. I believe I set up the mile lap splits correctly, and the "lap pace" in the data fields correctly, but you never know. Also, I may press some wrong buttons under pressure. The 305 is just so ingrained in my head! Oh well, I'll probably figure it out, no big deal. It's just me trying to find something to worry about.

2 comments:

junebug said...

i saw you had the new Garmin in a bag the other night...i wish you would have waited for the 310...much like the 305 but MUCH better, and easier than the 405 which is complicated and hard to manuever while running.

if you need any help with it, let me know. its very sensitive and if you dont set the sensitivity to "low" during runs the screen will move by itself if sweat or a raindrop hits it. best to lock it till after your route.

good luck today!!!

Bill Blancett said...

June,

Hey! Well I'm reserving my final judgement on the watch but I'm thinking its a keeper so far. So far the biggest issues were:

1. The Garmin power saving and going to time display in the middle of my training run. I believed I adjusted this by adjusting the timeout option

2. The sensitivity of the of the bezel. I think I'll leave it on medium sensitivity.

3. Adjusting the time on my workouts. So far the adjusting of the time is rather slow and clunky.

I'll have to wait and see if I get used to these issues or find ways around them.