Sunday, January 25, 2009

Running with my running partner

Today I went out to the dirt track at the local middle school and did 45 minutes easy running with my partner. His pace was a wee bit slower than mine but he definitely was up to the task today. My partner happened to be my 4 year old son William. I brought him out to the track along with his bike. He got quite the workout on that bike. Huffing and puffing trying to keep up with me. Eventually he got tired of the bike and just started running with me every time I came up on him. It was so interesting, with him running along side me telling me, "I won't give up Daddy". I could hear him huffing and puffing and finally his physical shortcomings would give way. That would tug at my heart, seeing my son trying to keep up with his Daddy and realizing that no matter how hard he tried, his little legs just could not keep up with his Daddy. He was quite impressive though, keeping up with an 8:30 pace for about 10 seconds at a time. Wow, the age of innocence. At the end of my run my son told me "I enjoyed our time together Daddy!"

2 comments:

geoff said...

Hey Bill, You still going to try to run the Rockets 5k this weekend? I'm feeling ok so I think I'll give it a shot. I caved in to the peer pressure with everyone else having running blogs and decided to start one. It's keeprunningfast.blogspot.com

Bill Blancett said...

Geoff,

I'm feeling good too. I'll probably be there.

I'll definitely check out your blog.

Regards,
Bill