Sunday, January 11, 2009

Last Kenyan Way long run

image Yesterday we ran our last long run before the marathon. Basically a group of us: Andrew, Geoff, Chris, and Dana did about 10 miles at an easy pace. Nothing of note worth mentioning about the run. I ended up running at about a 7:20 pace and I believe we all made a concentrated effort not to go below 7 minutes per mile. No issues with my hamstring or any other part of my legs. The run felt smooth again and hopefully my body will only get even stronger and fresher throughout the taper week. I couldn't reach Connie or Gralin for a massage so it looks like I will be left to give myself massages. It's no big deal though because I'm not really injured and it was probably more of a precaution. The rest will also do me good.

Today is Sunday and I have a day off and it feels great. Especially since I know it's in the low 40's today. Tomorrow will be a different story though because it is forecasted to be in the low 30's and I HATE cold weather. I just have to remember to go to Walmart to get those heat sticks that you put in your gloves to keep your hands warm. I think I'll wear my thin gloves plus the thick ones and stick the heat pack in gloves. I just have to do 8 miles tomorrow. I was supposed to do 3 x 1 mile at marathon pace but I'll skip that workout and just run 8 easy. I don't think the workout will help me all that much and I don't want to risk anything this week.

Just because this week is a taper week does not mean I can just lay back and just wait for the marathon. I will need monitor what I eat and make sure I get all of the nutrition I have already been getting and get a higher percentage of carbs. I will also need to map out points on the route where my brother can be stationed to get me my Gatorade bottles during the race. I will need to solidify a good race plan. I need to get my core and other exercises done to maintain my strength. I need to make sure I get plenty of rest throughout the week. So you as you can see there are plenty of other things besides just running the miles that will go into this race. I know I'll get my miles in but I will also need to get the other items I mentioned done so I will give myself a good chance to have a smooth race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am to do 3x1 today too with 5 total, but like you I am only going to do them easy. Although my route makes it 6 instead of 5.

I figure at this point why throw any speed into it? ;o)

And this cold weather SUCKS!

Bill Blancett said...

Totally agree on both points!