Sunday, March 1, 2009

Difference between world class marathoner and recreational runner

A couple of weeks ago I was talking with Sam and Andrew about the difference between the stride of a world class marathoner and the recreational runner. I used myself as the example of the recreational runner. I was looking at a profile picture of myself (at the end of the Houston Marathon), great picture by whoever took it(Houston Striders). At first I looked at the picture and I said to myself good job, Bill. The form isn't that bad especially since you were pretty beat up at the end. I was feeling kind of good about the picture. Then I saw a great picture of Merga and I was humbled. His form was closer to my 5k profile or 1 mile profile if you were to take a picture during my run. What I mean is look at the lift and power he is generating at the end of the race. He is traveling a good distance with each stride. This is why the marathoners must have a light frame. They absolutely can't afford to be carrying dead weight. If you think that marathoners are just puny little weaklings, you may be right about the upper body. But their legs are like powerful pistons. Take a look and compare my stride and Merga's powerful stride.

image

image

Now the whole point was not to be too critical of myself or compare myself to Merga as if we were similar. The point was to appreciate the skill these guys have honed over the years and to watch a master at work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

I think your form is pretty good. Besides, your pistons would probably be pumping too if 45 grands were waiting for you at the finish line.:-) Merga received $35K for winning & $10K for course record. Wonder if he'd trade it for a place on the podium at the Beijing Olympic marathon.

Tuan

Bill Blancett said...

Tuan,

My pistons would be pumping pretty good if we won anything nowadays at the finish line.

:)

Bill