Sunday, May 30, 2010

8.69 Miles Easy

Mile 1 7:07
Mile 2 6:42
Mile 3 6:39
Mile 4 6:44
Mile 5 6:37
Mile 6 6:38
Mile 7 6:36
Mile 8 6:45
Mile 9 5:54
Total Average Pace: 6:40

I have to admit, before today’s run I was a little excited. Yesterday I had noticed a change in my leg strength. I was running sub 6:20 pace in highly adverse conditions with about as much ease as maybe a 7:00 minute pace run. Even though I crashed the last few miles I knew there was a change in me. So I was pumped up for today’s run. Sure enough, I was late out the door once again as I arrived at the park after 9am. It wasn’t as humid but it was sunny and hot with no shade. I started off my run right away at a pretty quick pace. The one thing I did notice was that I was still fatigued a little bit from yesterday’s run. So I kept it at an easy pace. The pace ended up anywhere from 6:30s to 6:40s. During the last mile as I was finishing up my run, a guy made an obvious attempt to try and catch me. And catch me he did. So we were running side by side for a while. Then he made a move and the competitor in me picked up the pace ever so slightly. I picked it up enough to where eventually I could hear him laboring a bit and finally he just let go right before the starting 0 marker. I ended up finishing at sub 6 pace. This was actually the first time I had been at sub 6 pace since my last race in early April. I have to tell ya, that was the easiest 5:51 pace that I have run in quite a while. All this is happening while I have run the most miles I have run in a couple of years. Today’s total puts me at 73 miles for the week, a little short of my 77 mile goal, but I’m still happy. I’m 5 weeks into my base building phase with no speed or tempo work yet and I’m liking the changes I’m seeing. I think I’m fit as a fiddle. I’m going to wait till my next cut back week and then I’ll throw in a tempo workout. Next week will be even tougher.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Way to keep pounding out the miles. I'll be looking forward to when you're ready to get back into doing workouts.

Bill Blancett said...

Sam,

I'm looking forward to the tempo runs.

Bill