Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day Off

I can’t wait to get back to the daily business of running. The first 3 days of rest was pretty good but by day 4 I had the itch to get back on the trail again. I held myself back because I wanted all the aches and pains in my legs and foot to be dealt with once and for all. Because when I go back to training there won’t be any extended breaks for a long long time. During the break I was able to experience a few things that I really had not had a chance to experience in quite a few years. What it’s like to lead a sedentary life. One of the things I noticed was that I was able to catch up on a lot of sleep. No matter how much sleep I had I always felt like I could use a little bit more. Even though I was getting 8 hours or more of sleep I didn’t wake up feeling refreshed. During days 1-3 I enjoyed the rest  and pretty much felt the same physically. But on day 4 I felt  a change. It felt as if my body was slowly shutting some things down. Nothing major, but noticeable when you are a really fit guy like myself. Not to make a big deal out of this or anything, but I can’t imagine another week of being sedentary. This leads me to the simple answer or truth that relates to me and my running. In the future when someone asks me why I run or train the way I do. All I have to give them is one simple answer. It keeps me feeling young. That’s it. There doesn’t need to be any other reasons or explanations. You can keep your creams, pills, surgeries, magic diets, etc, etc and I’ll just keep my running and I think I’ll be just fine :-)

No comments: