Thursday, May 19, 2011

Question About Shoes

What type of flats do you wear, also what type of training shoes do you sport for workouts? thanks.

This is an excellent question that I have been struggling with the past few years. Let me start with what I've been doing the last few years and then what I've been doing recently.

The previous few years I went minimal. The thought was if my shoes were lighter I would be able to move quicker. Pretty simplistic I know, but it was something different to try. I also wanted to build up my calves and the rest of my lower legs and feet. This worked initially as my times continued to drop. But was it the shoes or the training? As my times have begun to stagnate the last few years I began to wonder whether I was beating up my legs a little too much in races because after great starts I would fade big time at the end, no matter what shape I was in. I wore adizero PRs (3oz) for my racing flats and some light weight puma flats(5oz) I won in a race for my speed workouts.

Recently I decided to go another route and do something in between. I picked up some 7oz Brooks Green Silences that I won in a race(to use as my racing shoes). I have had improving results since. I've also started to wear my 9oz Adidas Bostons for my speed work and have been having good results.

So the results of my experimentation is to not get something too heavy or you'll be too slow. Don't get something too light or you'll beat up your legs. What is the correct fit for you? You'll only find that out through experimentation.

No comments: