Monday, June 6, 2011

Fair and Balanced Piece on Barefoot Running

This is a very well written piece on barefoot running. I hear one side saying that barefoot running is the key and the answer to all running problems. It prevents injury, it makes you faster, it makes you stronger. Our ancestors ran barefoot, the Kenyans run barefoot and that's why they are so fast... And so on and so forth. After trying it out and reading numerous articles on the subject I have come to my own conclusion and this article kind of embodies the points I have come up with about barefoot running. I myself use it as only a tool to strengthen my lower legs and work on my form which in turn will make me run faster. But I have not totally embraced barefoot running in my "WHOLE" running routine. The reason for this is you may have to totally start from the beginning in order to be totally comfortable running minimalist or barefoot. This is too much to ask for someone who does 50 miles or more. Without further ado here is the link.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/06/barefoot-running-shoes-and-born-to-run.html

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog recently. As with the other things you've written/found, I find this really interesting. Thanks, Danny O'Callaghan.

Bill Blancett said...

Thanks Danny I appreciate the kind words. I'm glad to have written something worthy of a little interest.

Bill

Jonathan said...

Bill this is Jonathan Guzman from 24 hr fitness I did not now you had a blog page. Yes very true. I am seeing it every day over here in senegal Africa.


Guzmanjonathan@hotmail.com

Bill Blancett said...

What's up Jonathan? Very cool. Like I told you earlier, try and stay healthy. Let me know how everything is going over there. Sounds like a pretty cool experience.

Bill

Jonathan said...

Hey there, been very busy over here but surviving lol, but over all it is becoming a great experience. I have been going on easy runs since this part of the country is made up of nothing but rock and sand(desert) for an hour a day but nothing too crazy. Hope everything is going well in the states take care

Jonathan